Top Skills You Need to Become a Creative Art Director
Explore your creative voice. Be true to yourself
– Madhu Amodia, Professor at M.AD.
Creativity is personal and unique, isn’t it? It demands imagination with emotional knowledge to touch your audience with your creativity!
If you are artistic and have a knack for graphic designing, photography, or any other creative field, explore art direction!
So, let’s dive into the skills you will require to work as a creative art director but before we get into all that, who is a creative art director?
Who is a Creative Art Director?
A creative Art Director is the head of the creative team. This position demands the decision-making of creative designs and project plan execution.
A creative art director heads the creative team and guides the project idea, pitches for it, and, after approval, works with the team to materialize the idea. It demands creative skills, leadership, and team management skills.
So what does a Creative Art Director Do?
The role of a creative art director is an important one. Apart from having great creative skills, here are some of the other job responsibilities
- Pitching a project idea.
- Presenting the project in hand to your clients.
- Assisting team members to ensure timely deliveries.
- Determining the layouts of the designs and messages for marketing purposes.
- Preparation and execution of design ideas.
- Communicate between client and team members to ensure a practical design.
What Skills are required for a Creative Art Director?
- Graphic Designs
Graphic design is more than just using images in your message. It’s the way you communicate that matters and knowing what type of graphics will best convey the brand’s identity through visual representation. You need to know colors, and their combinations to be able to create visually appealing designs.
- Communication Skills
Creative art directors must have strong communication skills when pitching their projects and communicating with team members. This skill is essential for the role as it takes care of all requirements that need clarification.
To be a successful Creative Art Director, one must have creative skills and knowledge about emotions. With both these things in mind, you need to design interesting ideas that connect with the audience’s feelings and ultimately make a sale. For instance, the emotion of “Desh ki Mitti” in Kajaira tiles creates huge traffic for this brand.
- Adobe Creativity
This is a technical skill required by the creative art director. The director must be proficient with web, multimedia applications, software, and other Adobe suite knowledge. It is because they have to create designs using this software. You can learn and master them from any reputed college/institute/school such as the Miami Ad School.
- Friendly Temperament in accepting Feedback
Creative art directors must always be open to feedback, no matter how harsh it may seem. You must have the ability to take negative comments as constructive criticism – then use it to your benefit and improvement!
- Even Temperament
As the head of a team, you are expected to work with people with different attitudes than you. So your success as an art director is dependent on well you manage, coordinate, and work with your team members.
How to become a Creative Art Director?
Creative art directors are in high demand because of how much society has moved towards digitized tools. The ability to use creativity and imagination with these mediums will make you an invaluable asset for any company or organization looking into their next project!
- A degree in design is a surefire way to get ahead. You can pursue an undergraduate or graduate program, and learn the industry’s intricacies while developing the brand that will set YOU apart.
- To be a creative art director, one must develop the skills needed for promoting and conceptualizing designs.
- Show off your best work to potential employers with a portfolio that showcases all of the creativity, efficiency, and practicality for them to see what you can do but also how it applies.
- Upskilling is essential for a person as it shows that you are a continuous learner and keep yourself with the pace of technological development.
The creative industry is booming, and there are always job opportunities available. If you want to be on top of your game in this competitive field then it’s important that not only do they see what designs can do but also how well-versed each designer/director was with their skillset before entering into a new project or role!
Miami Ad School is a well-known school that promotes creativity. From art direction to copywriting, our programs are designed to train you to realize your full potential. The field of advertising is extremely competitive and who best trains you than ad giants who have worked in the industry for more decades?
Explore our courses, and see which one suits your personality the best!